Gall Bladder Surgery in India
Gallbladder removal surgery, also known as a cholecystectomy, is a very common procedure.
The gallbladder is a small, pouch-like organ in the upper right part of your tummy. It stores bile, a fluid produced by the liver that helps break down fatty foods. Surgery to remove the gallbladder is usually carried out if you have painful gallstones. These are small stones that can form in the gallbladder as a result of an imbalance in the substances that make up bile. he procedure is minimally invasive and uses small incisions in the abdomen that allows a surgeon to gain access of the gallbladder with the help of surgical tools such as a laparoscope (a high definition camera). Sometimes a big incision is also made for removing the gallbladder and the procedure is known as open Cholecystectomy.
Symptoms of Gallstones
Gallstones may cause no signs or symptoms. If a gallstone lodges in a duct and causes a blockage, signs and symptoms may result, such as:
- Sudden and rapidly intensifying pain in the upper right portion of your abdomen
- Sudden and rapidly intensifying pain in the center of your abdomen, just below your breastbone
- Back pain between your shoulder blades
- Pain in your right shoulder
- Yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes
- High fever with chills
- Serious vomiting or nausea attributed to gallbladder stones
Who should consider Gallbladder Surgery
Several conditions or situations may require surgery to remove the gallbladder. Surgery usually is needed when:
- Your gallbladder suddenly becomes inflamed or infected (cholecystitis).
- Gallstones cause repeated attacks of pain.
- You have growths called polyps in the gallbladder, usually larger than 0.4 in. (1 cm), that are causing symptoms.
- Gallstones cause inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
- A nonfunctioning gallbladder is causing symptoms.
- The gallbladder wall has calcified (porcelain gallbladder).
- You have gallstones and an impaired immune system.
The Conditions that Causes Gallbladder Problems
- If a gallstone blocks the common bile duct then the condition of Jaundice may develop.
- It is not clear as to why some people form gallstones.
- The gallstones are responsible for causing gallbladder problems.
- The gallstones can obstruct the flow of bile out of the gallbladder. This causes swelling of the gallbladder that results in severe abdominal pain, indigestion and vomiting
Gallbladder Removal Surgery
Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery removes the gallbladder and gallstones through several small cuts (incisions) in theabdomen. The surgeon inflates your abdomen with air or carbon dioxide in order to see clearly.
The surgeon inserts a lighted scope attached to a video camera (laparoscope) into one incision near the belly button. The surgeon then uses a video monitor as a guide while inserting surgical instruments into the other incisions to remove yourgallbladder.
Cholecystectomy is the surgical procedure for removing the gallbladder. While performing traditional surgery, a long incision of about 5-8 inches is made in the abdomen for removing the gallbladder. The incision is made beneath the ribs on the right side and reaches below the waist. This procedure is termed as open Cholecystectomy.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal Surgery
- The patients can go home within a day.
- A faster recovery period where the patients can get back to their normal activities.
- Patients have minimal post-operative pain.
- Instead of 5-7 inch large incision, the procedure requires 4 small openings in the abdomen.
- Patients also experience a quicker recovery than open gallbladder surgery patients.
Living Without a Gallbladder
You can lead a perfectly normal life without a gallbladder.Your liver will still make enough bile to digest your food but, instead of being stored in the gallbladder, it drips continuously into your digestive system. By adopting simple lifestyle changes, a person can live a normal life. Some of the lifestyle changes include –
- Adopt a low-fat diet
- Avoid eating fatty foods, such as fried foods
- Eat small, frequent meals
- Avoid eating a very large dinner after fasting all day
Cost of Gallbladder Surgery
The gallbladder surgery in India is both convenient and Pocket freindly as compared to rest of the world. As compared to USA and Developed countries , India is the only country in the world where a patient can avail the best treatment at 10-30% of the cost of the same procedure. The best trained surgeons are available in all the hospitals in India.