Arthroscopic Surgery in India
Arthroscopy) is a minimally invasive surgical procedure on a joint in which an examination and sometimes treatment of damage is performed using an arthroscope, an endoscope that is inserted into the joint through a small incision. Arthroscopic procedures can be performed to evaluate or treat many orthopaedic conditions including torn cartilage torn surface cartilage, ACL reconstruction, and trimming damaged cartilage.
The advantage over traditional open surgery is that the joint does not have to be opened up fully. This surgery reducesrecovery time and may increase the rate of success due to less trauma to the connective tissue. It is especially useful forprofessional athletes, who frequently injure knee joints and require fast healing time. There is also less scarring, because of the smaller incisions.
Arthroscopy is done in following cases
- Rotator cuff surgery
- Repair or resection of torn cartilage (meniscus) from knee or shoulder
- Reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament in knee
- Removal of inflamed lining (synovium) in knee, shoulder, elbow, wrist, ankle
- Release of carpal tunnel
- Repair of torn ligaments
- Removal of loose bone or cartilage in knee, shoulder, elbow, ankle, wrist.
- Collecting samples of joint fluid
Types Of Arthroscopy
- Knee arthroscopy is a surgical technique that can diagnose and treat problems in the knee joint. The surgeon will make a very small incision and insert a tiny arthroscope — into your knee. This allows them to view the inside of the joint on a screen. The surgeon can then investigate a problem with the knee and, if necessary, correct the issue using small instruments within the arthroscope.
- Shoulder arthroscopy Shoulder arthroscopy is surgery that uses a tiny camera called an arthroscope to examine or repair the tissues inside or around your shoulder joint. During the procedure, the surgeon: Inserts the arthroscope into your shoulder through a small incision. The scope is connected to a video monitor in the operating room.They Inspect all the tissues of your shoulder joint and the area above the joint. These tissues include the cartilage, bones, tendons, and ligaments. Upon examination they Repair any damaged tissues. To do this, your surgeon makes 1 to 3 more small incisions and inserts other instruments through them. A tear in a muscle, tendon, or cartilage is fixed. Any damaged tissue is removed.
- Hip arthroscopy is a minimally invasive technique whereby it is possible to look inside the hip joint with the aid of a fibre optic telescope and in many instances perform a variety of surgical procedures using that technique. Hip arthroscopy was initially used for the diagnosis of unexplained hip pain, but is now widely used in the treatment of conditions both in and outside the hip joint itself.
- Elbow arthroscopy : In this arthroscopy an arthroscope (small ‘telescope’) into the elbow joint through several small 2-3 millimeter incisions. The arthroscope is used to identify the location of the loose bodies and the spurs. The loose bodies can be removed by using the arthroscope in addition to small grasping instruments. The bone spurs can be removed by visualizing the spur with the arthroscope and using a small burr to remove the spur. These elbow arthroscopic procedures take about 30-90 minutes and are done on an day-case basis (without an overnight stay in the hospital).
Cost of Arthroscopic Surgery in India
Extremely affordable ,excellent medical services and internationally trained doctors being the main reason India has become a favourite destination for medical tourism., The cost of arthroscopic surgery in India is also quite low in comparison to the western countries.